Thursday, September 29, 2016

Expect a Miracle?

A popular recovery bumper sticker says, "Expect a Miracle." What does that mean, exactly? What constitutes a miracle? I was part of a discussion in a church group a number of years ago and one of the members questioned the liberal use of "it's a miracle!" By this man's reasoning, we are past the age of miracles when the sick were healed by simply touching the hem of their Lord's garment. To him, a miracle was walking on water, not merely a baby born with all her fingers and toes.

Maybe not today, at 30 years sober, but at the beginning, the fact that I'd been able to stop using drugs and alcohol felt like a miracle on par with feeding the multitudes. For me, it was very much an example of spontaneous healing - one day I needed to ingest mind altering chemicals, and literally, a day later, the compulsion was lifted. A miracle, being that it was not of my own doing. If I could've thought my way out of my addiction, I would've. This was freedom born of surrender. I can cite many examples, witnessed or experienced directly, of interactions that could be considered Divine intervention, or the right amount of money that showed up at just the right time, the phone call that came out of nowhere. Miracles? Grace? Certainly to the persons involved.

So in my recovery-focused opinion, miracles do happen. Maybe not big-M Miracles, but certainly the little-m miracles of emotional healing, doors opening, paths illuminated, forgiveness bestowed. My question then, is does "Expect a Miracle" apply to those of us in long term recovery too, or is it solely for the newcomer who is so fresh and open to the wonder of sobriety. I am so grateful for recovery, and I must admit that most days, the wonder has rubbed off.  In early sobriety, "Expect a Miracle" meant the upheavals associated with getting my life together - school, work, repaired relationships, the magic of a sunrise seen from the appropriate vantage point (vs after being up all night).  What does it mean now?

If  I equate "miracle" with hope, what is it that I hope for today? Good health, continued sobriety, love that grows, strong friendships? Returning to the book "Yearnings," Rabbi Kula describes hope as meaning to "pull oneself into the future but stay fully present." Can I expect a miracle, many miracles, and keep my feet on the ground and my butt in the chair? Can I remember that familiarity with this good life doesn't make it any less amazing?

Expect a Miracle. What does that mean to you?  What is it that you hope for?

No comments:

Post a Comment