Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Welcome....

I was at a conference recently, enjoying a recharge to my recovery from alcoholism – both the family disease and my own. As I wandered past the book vendor’s table, skimming titles, picking up a few books only to put them back down again, I remarked to my friend, “I can’t relate to this stuff. I feel like I’ve memorized all my daily meditation books over the years. I need to write a book about long term recovery.” We chuckled and returned to our seats to hear the next speaker. Later that evening, as my husband and I sat in a noisy restaurant, it struck me: I need to write about long term recovery!   I can’t be the only person who wonders about navigating this “next phase of our development.”  Celebrating 30 years of recovery, I wondered, "Now what?" How am I an example of recovery? How do I stay engaged? Has my application of the principals changed over the years?

So, dear reader, let’s take this journey together.  What are the challenges and joys of long term recovery?  What does it mean to grow old as a recovering person? How do I stay engaged in the process of spiritual growth? Does the bumper sticker, “Expect a Miracle” apply to me too, or is that just for newcomers?  Am I humble enough to keep asking for help?

I’ll explore these topics and more in the coming pages and hope, sincerely, that you will find that spark of recognition that is so important to the “we” aspect of recovery.  Thank you for coming along, on this learn-as-we-go process.


8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm commenting on how great it will be to have an online space to learn along with offering and getting support!

      Delete
    2. Great - welcome to the discussion, and thanks for all your help!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for starting this blog. I'm looking forward to meeting and discussions with some new, old timers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanine, I domt think my first comment posted. Long story short, I - at 16 years- am stuck on this time thing as well as the question of relating all the time to the fewer and fewer meetings I attend. Admitting this in itself is helping as I write this. So glad you did this so I can gather and hopefully contribute insights into these topics/questions. I simply couldn't imagine drinking or wanting to drink. Weird things can happen of course. But I know I need to stay connected to aa/ recovery. And keep interested. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeanine. This is a great way to deal with long term sobriety in and of itself. I've asked myself a lot of the same questions about sobriety as you have. I also think much of my questions have to do with just getting older. I usually love to go to meetings. Do I get there as often? No. Why? I get caught up in getting things done. Work, eating, cleaning my environment. But the big change is it takes me longer to do that stuff. So some of this has to do with getting old gracefully. That includes work finances relaxation spiritual relationships relationships to friends. The answers are still unclear. Greg and have made a big decision. We are selling our house. It is worth way too much and the taxes are becoming horrendous. We are banking the money and traveling around the US in an old camper for a couple months. Then we're coming back to buy our next house without a mortgage. Maybe in Oregon City or maybe in Astoria. Both are places close enough for our friends but more affordable and quieter and slower. But no decisions until after the trip. The packing started a month ago. Still at least a month to go. I'm sure some epiphanies will come and decisions altered. But trajectory will remain. It's right because I'm sleeping better. A new goal worth working towards. One that I will continue to stay sober for on a daily basis. I will or be lost. I never want to be lost again. I need goals in my life to be excited about. For now I have one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, and thank you for your post. I so agree that goals are important. Happy trails - I look forward to hearing more about your adventure.

      Delete