Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Questioning the practice...

After my last post, a comment  asked about dogma, about shifting alliances, and that phenomenon of feeling like recovery is flat, boring, why-do-I-have-to-keep-doing-this?  The experience of many, and recovery lore, holds that we're doomed to drink again if we aren't vigilant about our habits. What does that mean as time goes on?

At the beginning, I was probably likely to drink or use drugs if I wasn't in a meeting a day. I needed to establish a recovery lifestyle. Over time, that shifted as work, school, relationships, and new pastimes filled the spaces left open when I stopped using.  Today I have a full and rich life, fuller and richer and alive-er because I am in recovery.  Will I take a drink if I don't go to a certain number of meetings? Not today.  What about my spiritual practice, that evolved from my exposure to the principles of recovery?  What do I need to do to maintain my daily reprieve?

I see friends and acquaintances who've stopped going to meetings and have rich and full lives. I see people relapse who stop going to meetings. I see addiction morph into gambling, spending, or food, with or without meetings.  My point is that it seems very individual.

And, it can be confusing and disheartening when I'm in the middle of the desert, questioning my priorities. It is sad when a home group changes and no longer feeds my soul.  It is uncomfortable when a sponsor relationship takes a turn, or simple drifts. It is a little scary to hear someone with 20 or 30 years talking about drinking again.

But, I don't want my recovery to be based on fear.  While my outlook and emotional sobriety shifts and changes, sometimes day to day, my desire is to stay in a place of gratitude, even when (especially when?) I feel the internal shifts that suggest I might need to do something different for my spiritual growth. For me, that's always meant something in addition to my recovery program. For others, it might be an "instead."

What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. I love your blog and I am right there with you.
    Jerry G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeanine,

    Interesting questions. I still hold on to the phrase, "The spiritual life is not a theory, we have to live it." I love contemplating how to live a more soulful life. Meetings can be that. Thinking of starting a meeting on that.

    I remember my first sponsor, still. She was 60 and I was 20. I think that role is worth going to meetings...

    Kind regards,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane - nice to hear from you. I appreciate your reminder that part of what we do is carry the message. I always noticed when the old timers said "keep coming back," and there they were! Passing it on...

      Delete
  3. Just got the link to this blog from Leslie. Love the post and comments. Appreciate the contemplative question of, "in addition " or "instead". It reminds me of an alanon promise, "we will learn to stand for ourselves without standing against others". Cuts through my binary thinking and assumptions. I don't think it's necessary to do something "instead", but, my own black and white thinking that tells me to choose a side. I just keep praying to be relieved of the bondage of self, it seems to be the core where the disease rests.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete