Wednesday, May 25, 2016

What do I bring?


I was in a meeting recently where a couple of fellows with long term sobriety nearly came to blows.  Fellow #1 read a religious tract during his share. Fellow #2 was offended, and in his share, spoke to our singleness of purpose and the importance of sticking to conference approved literature lest the newcomer get confused about our primary purpose.  After the meeting, they had words, which escalated into threats. A few days later someone shared about the incident, saying that he was told that if you haven’t been to a meeting where a fight breaks out, you haven’t been to enough meetings. While I hate to see anger get the best of anyone, I was actually pleased at the display of passion in Fellow #2.  We tend to feel strongly about this program of ours - this lifesaver - and it is vitally important to maintain adherence to the Traditions.

So part of what I bring to meetings is consistency, and a working knowledge of the Steps and Traditions. I am also a piece of living history -  I remember when the Alano Club burned down, and later when the meetings were so full upstairs that 3 rooms spilled into the hall. I remember Norm B greeting at the Grotto, the P.A.S.S. Club dances...  As an old-timer myself now, I am a link to those who were there when I came in, who, in turn, were a link to their predecessors, who were linked to Bill and Bob.  Whenever I share one of Leonard C’s adages, (my favorite being, “Will power will not keep you sober, but want-power will!”) I am drawing on the wisdom of my elders, and I am bringing that wisdom into the rooms. I’ve read that no one truly dies as long as someone remembers them. Well, I remember Leonard, and know his story almost as well as I know my own. It is important to keep his memory alive, and hope that someone will do the same for me someday.


It was immensely important at the beginning for me to see people walking their talk. The old guys and gals would say, “keep coming back!” and next week they’d be right there. They didn’t just tell me to come back - they came back themselves.  I do that for the newer member today.  I go to meetings for my own sanity, and to be that constant, that living, breathing evidence that it really does work.  I believe that a certain responsibility comes with long term recovery.  No, I don't need to be perfect, but it is important that I show up, that I am as real as I can be at any given moment, and that I give that welcome to the newcomer.  

It is also important that I am being nourished in return. It can be disconcerting if I'm consistently the person with the most time in the room.  Being able to give back means that I'm also seeking those places where I can fill my spiritual cup, where I can share freely and openly about the challenges and joys of long term recovery,whether that is in a meeting, across the table at a coffee shop, or on a hike in the woods...    How do you recharge?

No comments:

Post a Comment