Monday, July 4, 2016

Freedom - 

On the 4th of July weekend in 1986, I chaired the noon meeting at the "Little Yellow House" in Seaside, Oregon, marking my 6th month of sobriety, which was epic.  6 months?! Amazing!  I chaired on the topic of freedom, focused on "freedom from" - freedom from the shackles of addiction, freedom from driving with one eye always on the rear-view mirror (don't let me get caught), freedom from craving.

As time went on I celebrated"freedom to" - the freedom to explore the world, freedom to push myself just slightly beyond my comfort zone, freedom to learn and to grow into the person I was intended to be - not the "shivering denizen of [King Alcohol's] mad realm," I'd once been (Big Book, p.151).

Today I celebrate those freedoms and more - the freedom of choice, the freedom to show up for myself and my loved ones, the freedom of structure afforded by the spiritual path of the 12 Steps, the freedom of  mindfully participating in my life.

The gifts are many - I do hope you have time to appreciate yours today and every day.


3 comments:

  1. When I had completed the steps for the first time my sponsor invited me and some of my elder program mentors to his house for a dinner party. Over dinner we went through the steps, one by one, sharing insights and lessons offered through them. I will never forget the intimacy, honesty and wisdom offered to me that night. After dinner a dear & respected friend gave me a domino-sized, polished stone with a carefully engraved "FREEDOM" etched into its surface. To this day, that stone and all it stands for--a rich & treasured life given to me through our program--is among my most prized possessions. Thank you God, thank you AA, thank you friends & mentors. I love you all so deeply.

    PS: Happy birthday America!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete