Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Relieve me of the bondage of self...

Yesterday morning I found myself snapping at my husband, and then making immediate amends - and this was before 5am.  I did a fair amount of self-flagellation well into the morning. Shouldn't I know better by now? Will responding, rather than reacting, ever come automatically?

I have to wonder about character defects (or defenses - call them what you will, these aspects of ourselves that cause us and others discomfort).  When I first entered recovery, I was, as we say, "a liar, a cheat and a thief."  Those defects of behavior were corrected almost immediately upon embracing sobriety. I had a lot less to lie about when I was no longer using drugs or drinking beer for breakfast.  Through the inventory process, which I initially thought was intended to punish me for bad behavior, my sponsor helped me dig below the offending action to get to the underlying defect  - the place where instincts had "gone awry." Many of those crunchy places were smoothed over with increased awareness. I caught myself and corrected the little fibs, usually before I said them. I stopped being less-than-honorable in my relationships.  I acted as if I was confident until that became a part of who I am.

But what of those tender spots that don't seem to have gone away?  After decades of inventory, there are a few aspects of self that still cause me to wince.  The acting out from those places has definitely mellowed, but there is still the little "ouch" of hearing my mind jump to the same old story line.  For me, it is insecurity and comparison that continue to plague my otherwise peaceful life.  And challenges with feeling too busy - something I've been complaining about in my journal for years and years.  Are these character defects, meant to be eradicated? Or perhaps merely aspects of my character, like my sense of humor or being organized.

I have a hunch that it is in acceptance that I will find peace. The more I focus on "not this again!" the more I am engaged in the losing battle of self change. If I could've changed myself, I would've - a long time ago.  What about relaxing into the process?  The 7th step prayer says, "Creator, I am now willing that you should have all of me," not "just the healthy bits," or conversely, "just those parts I hate."  What if I could accept myself as I am in this moment?  One of the Alanon daily readers reminds me that "being human is not a character defect."  

When I snap at my spouse (self-righteousness), or grumble to myself about the person in front of me at the store (impatience), or find myself lacking in comparison to others in the room (insecurity), what if I were to pause and ask myself what I'm afraid of? What if I were to take a deep breath and take stock of where I feel out of balance? What if I were simply to notice?



5 comments:

  1. Ahh, once again, you speak directly to me. I am visiting my mother (though not staying in her tiny apartment with her), and we had a tense exchange yesterday. I had said something that was not snarky, but she interpreted it as a reproach and had a very emotional reaction. I found myself scared and immediately apologized, and felt quite anxious (which is rare for me). Later on, I found myself realizing that as she ages, it is my turn to be the adult. She and I had a discussion about it today where we were both adults and all is well. But still, it was scary and I was amazed at how quickly I would feel so insecure, as our relationship is very amicable and generally low drama nowadays. The good thing is after this, I was extremely motivated to go to a meeting (also, visiting the US allows me to attend meetings that have more than 4 people in them - so a plus). And this visit to Mom's neighborhood has been heavy with meetings - much more than last time I was here.

    So pausing when agitated works for me, but I find it much harder when others are involved. But that is the risk...dealing with others is harder than just doing everything while in my own little solitary world. And for me, it is a reminder that my emotional sobriety is a still a work in progress.

    Thanks again for the posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A valuable reminder that some of my deeper character defects don't just disappear, as much as I'd like them to. It does seem they can go through periods of dormancy when my spirit is in tact. But, so far, they find their way back to me eventually. Like a boomerang, these defects may be off in flight, but will always navigate back. As you pointed to, my recovery has been less about 'eradicating' these tendencies and more about recognition and management of them. When I cycle back into self-righteousness or berating myself, when I take on more than I can handle one more time, when I'm in a fearful head-space for hours because there's never enough money... these are and may always be recurring themes. Yes. A little recognition, get still, pray for God's will for me, back to this moment, breathe. All of this is "who" I am. When I do well to care for myself the boomerang doesn't hurt so badly when it comes home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice piece! After being sober this long, I still have to remind myself, "Don't be that way!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 1st sponsor always said, "Don't 'should' on yourself." I still need that reminder.

      Delete