Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Old behaviors

 

Last week, at my seasonal job with elections, I did data entry work. That's not my usual duty, but I can type, so said "Sure," when asked. My first ever job, in 1972, was typing checks for an insurance company (at a salary of $314 a month), so addresses and names I can do. But apparently I pushed a button I wasn't supposed to, or some technological thing that resulted in an error. Twice. Not the biggest deal in the world, but my first reaction was to hide the mistake and just keep going as if nothing had happened. Never mind that everything on a computer is traceable, what caught me up is how quickly my inner sneak came alive - "I didn't do it." "It wasn't me." "No, I wasn't there."  My mother used to say, after I'd grown up, that she'd be so frustrated, knowing I was looking her in the eye and lying, though she couldn't prove it. Of course, there were plenty of times I was caught red-handed, like with the peanut butter jar half-full of Jim Beam in my underwear drawer that resulted in being grounded, but I generally got away with whatever it was at the moment. 

I've told this story here before, but when I was a couple of months sober, I came across a small amount of methamphetamine while cleaning out the basement. My first thought was, "No one will know," followed by "But you will." That was new for me - the idea that my own morals and values would have an impact on my behavior, rather than drinking that voice silent, or outrunning it. I think I always had that sense of right and wrong, but man, I did nearly everything possible to override it. Without the numbing of drugs and alcohol, that still, small voice came through loud and clear, like when I found a wallet in a shopping cart at the grocery store and took it to the desk. A scruffy fellow also in line was amazed that I was turning it in. I said to him, "I need to be able to sleep at night."

And that's it, isn't it? Practicing the principles in all my affairs isn't so I can get cash and prizes, the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow - it's so I can live with myself, so that I can lay my head on the pillow at night knowing I've done the reasonably best I could that day. Not that I don't mess up, but the feeling in my gut that is my 10th Step, lets me know when I need to correct my behavior, make an amends, do some inventory writing if the same thing keeps coming up. And my "sobriety muscle" gets stronger each time I overcome the urge to cut corners or tell a lie, avoiding that terrible feeling of needing to hide something that unconsciously lead to the drink. Thank you to the internalization of the 12 Steps over time.  

This week, my husband and I are driving to Seattle to see a show, a UK artist who doesn't come to the States very often. I'm including it as part of my 70th year celebration (ha ha where I'm labeling nearly all I do this year as a birthday gift to myself). A grade school friend offered us her place to spend the night - very kind of this woman, who I last hung out with in 7th grade. Our paths diverged, as I followed the "park rats" and she joined choir in high school. And, over time, less of that matters. As always, I am grateful for relationships through the years, and the bits of shared history we have in common. Where in early sobriety I identified people as "AA friends," separate from "regular" folks (whatever that meant!), today I simply have friends.

As fates would have it, I got hit with a case of food poisoning Sunday/Monday. While retching, I couldn't help but be grateful for this body that recognizes a toxin and rejects it. I wish I'd paid more attention in the drinking years - I often drank until I puked, did so much cocaine I couldn't breathe out of my nose, ruined my veins with shooting speed that all these years later are still flattened.  All along my body was trying to tell me that what I was ingesting wasn't good for me. Hindsight is 20/20. And, there is nothing like being sick to make be appreciate feeling well. ODAT, I'm grateful for the good health that is my usual companion.

What does it mean to you to practice the principles in all your affairs? How does your conscience or still, small voice keep you on the beam? What is on our gratitude list today?

* * *

The NOW WHAT workbook is 78 pages of topics and processing questions, great for solo exploration or in a small group. Go to the WEB VERSION of this blog page for the link on ordering (PDF for those outside the U.S., or hard copy mailed to you). Contact me at SoberLongTime@soberlongtime.com or shadowsandveins@gmail.com with questions. And a reminder that the workbook, is available at the Portland Area Intergroup at 825 NE 20th. for local folks.





No comments:

Post a Comment