Wednesday, March 10, 2021

A friend and I, who are on the same vaccine schedule, have planned lunch out, 14 days after our second dose, prompting a little spike of joy.  On my Monday morning walk, I got choked up as I happened upon a grade school reopening, complete with balloons and the song "Celebrate" playing on a loudspeaker.  I've fared reasonably well during this pandemic - secure housing, stable finances, good health - and it's been a long year. I get teary when I think of previously normal activities, like hanging out with my bestie and our spouses to watch a basketball game on TV, or traveling to visit the in-laws. It has been a long year, and I'm so appreciating these small signs of hope.

I stopped reading a book this week, merely two chapters in. Despite being critically acclaimed, it just wasn't grabbing me, so I pushed a button and it disappeared from my Kindle. If nothing else (and actually there has been a lot "else") Covid has caused me to reevaluate how I spend my mental energy. Where I used to think I needed to finish every book I started, or watch every Oscar contender, I'm a bit more selective with how I spend my time these days. Sometimes, the pandemic has made the days seem like months, but here we are - a year in to what I could not have imagined, and now, with a light at the end of the very long tunnel.

Covid-time has honed my relationships as well. I see ( in person or online) or am in regular contact with (phone or text) a good handful of folks, which seems just about right for someone who is very familiar with spreading myself too thin. My friends bring laughter and tears, acknowledgement and inspiration. We are getting through, one day at a time. And I'm nearly always inspired in the meetings I attend, signing-on half-heartedly, only to find myself nodding in recognition with the first share, and the second, and the third. I'll  keep coming back. 

And it is March, Step 3 territory, where I make a daily decision to get out of my own way. I used to get on my knees and say the 3rd Step Prayer every morning. I don't do that anymore, but am continuing my daily focus on acknowledging my powerlessness and surrendering/accepting what is without attempting to manage, direct or change what I have no control over. Sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly...

What have you learned during this pandemic time? Are there ideas or practices you've re-examined and let go of, or have you adopted new ways of being or thinking? What might you have told yourself in March, 2020 that would've helped ease your way?


I’ve Been Sober a Long Time – Now What? A workbook for the Joys & Challenges of Long Term Recovery”  -  a 78 page spiral bound workbook, 8 ½ x11, with topics (such as grief, aging, sponsorship) that include a member’s view, processing questions, and space for writing.  (See the 11/17/20 blog entry  for a chapter sample) 

Available at Portland Area Intergroup at 825 N.E. 20th or online through this blog page. If you would like to purchase online, you will need to go to the WEB VERSION of this page, at www.soberlongtime.com  to view the link to PayPal or Credit Card option.   Email me at shadowsandveins@gmail.com if you’d like more information. (my apologies, but with the link, you can only order 1 workbook at a time). ( I offer a price break for locals who can pick up their copy - $15)


No comments:

Post a Comment